ORGANIZED IN THE GREAT HALL OF THE FORT – 1646: The first meetinghouse, built about 1647, was probably a frame building with riven clapboards, located on the north side of Middle Lane, with the parsonage just west of it. The second meetinghouse, a frame building, stood “near about the place of the old one”. Its construction was authorized at a town meeting held January 17, 1679, and it was ready for occupancy in 1681. One of its windows, a casement leaded sash with imported English glass, is on exhibit in the treasure cabinets in our present building. The third meetinghouse was erected in 1726, on the Church Green. The Green is directly opposite our present buildingsOur present, fourth, meetinghouse was dedicated January 5, 1840 and was extensively renovated in 1977.